Monday, September 16, 2013

Emails to Die From

I will be posting emails here that should never have been sent. There is no problem per se with the sentiment, but in their current form they are bound to explode in the faces of their senders.

I received the following two emails. The first was from a person in charge of one of our programs. I had written to students about a course I was going to teach, but unbeknownst to me she had decided to teach it herself. I have no problem with that. My italics.

1. Never send emails that tell people you are so busy with important things.


Please refrain from emailing students as I’m doing my best to diffuse most recent happenings and prevent escalation. In addition, the information to them in the latest email is wrong.   Already, I’ve had multiple student emails asking for information and I have so many other important things to do.


2. Never send emails where you deny doing something inappropriate or dishonest, if you give lots of details. Students received notices from our university committee concerning itself with academic integrity. One wrote me. I am not sure what kind of potential plagiarism she is referring to, but that is not the kind that triggered the university committee's concern. Moreover, I could have allayed her fears, but I could not write to her.

I cited directly from the author and captured all of their statements in my works cited and reference pages. The problem was that I included too much information that I did not know how to properly articulate within the context of my project and through the written essays. … I just included their statements in my paper and acknowledged their statements in my works cited and during our discussion in class. I was very transparent. But, I must have made a mistake somewhere, otherwise this would not be happening.

. . . What I need is time. I don't have that since I am running a small business and have a lot on my plate. …. I just didn't want to get it wrong, so I stated exactly what the experts said and made sure to cite.


I just wanted to make sure you know that I intend to fight this, so that I may maintain my personal integrity and reach the goal of completing this program by next semester. The Dean's office received a copy of the correspondence. I am very embarrassed, but I am not a cheater and hope to have a resolution that is appropriate for all those involved. 

Professor Krieger, you are copied on this message so that you are made aware of my intention to go through the administrative process regarding this matter .... Please do not respond to me nor write back to me regarding this correspondence and please remove me from your mailing lists until this matter is resolved by the University and per the standards set forth by the division of student judicial affairs.


3. If you want to complain about someone, don't do it in email. Better in person, or written. Email circulates.

No comments: